Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh yea- I have a baby

I realized something today- I have a baby. Lately I have mentioned how well life works with 2 kids- we're in a good routine, everyone is happy and life is good. Sure life is easy when my only ambitions are making sure the three of us are fed, clean, napped and have had sufficient toy/play time. But, when I get cocky and try to actually do something for me or someone else and it's a mess (important side note: I don't clean my bathrooms, vacuum, sweep, mop, grocery shop, etc:). Examples:

---I was in charge of teaching 2 crafts at Super Saturday. Sounds easy enough until you thrown in that I live 20 minutes away from the church, Super Saturday is about 6 hours long and Joe doesn't want to be shuttling a nursing baby back and forth to me every 2 hours (can't blame him) so I end up with Ellie on my hip as I try to teach women how to sew aprons and make bracelets (which you need TWO hands for).
---My Mom has had complications from her brain surgery and subsequent stroke and we want family to be there with her in the hospital 24/7 but again, I have a nursing baby and all I can do is wish I were there and send lots of prayers her way (good news- she might be out of the ICU today which is HUGE cuz she's been there for almost 2 weeks now- yeah Mom!).
---For those of us who couldn't do our Super Saturday crafts we had a little get together today to finish our projects which was a huge joke for me because- oh yea, I have a baby who is a constant fixture in my arms (thanks Carter for being a trooper though!).

I don't mean to complain, I love my little chunk and I know I used to have alone time and hobbies I could pursue and that time will come again- I just forgot that when you have a baby you really are semi useless to the world for a number of months (years?). I also know that when these days are gone I will grieve for the time when my children were content being held, danced around the room and having raspberries blown on their tummies. So stay little Elise (and Carter)- and if I ever say something silly like- "I'll teach that class" just remind me that....I have a baby.


Here's Carter sharing his blankie with his sister:)

15 comments:

Danielle Smith said...

I know what you mean. You long for the moments when you can do something for yourself(or just get some housework done!). But then when you have that time you actually miss them and feel sad about when you will have all the time in the world to yourself.

Becca said...

yep!That sounds about right!!!Life with two pretty much goes like that!

Maria said...

Well I gotta say that I personally am totally impressed at how much YOU can get done with a baby. You are amazing Dawnelle, you should've seen me when Abby was 6 months old, not a pretty sight! Miss you guys!

Nick said...

Complain all you want!! And remember, life if meant to be enjoyed, not just to endure, or something like that? We have the tile at home in front of the tv which means I never look at it!

Jessie said...

Dawnelle...I think that you are amazing! Your kids are lucky to have a mother like you!! Seriously, I often wonder why you put so much on your plate with a baby but then again you are someone that can handle it!!

Amanda in GA said...

I know its hard when they are little but enjoy each moment it will never come again. Just look at my boys all too soon they are big! They get up get dressed, get something to eat and they do it all by themselves! I know it sounds like heaven and in some ways it is but I really do miss the "little" sometimes.

When are we going to get shoes? call me

nicole said...

I love this blog! I feel semi useless to the world too :) I can't wait till Maggie can sit on her own so I won't have to hold her every second of the day. But then again, I think I'll die the day she doesn't want to snuggle with me anymore. Oh - and Jonny's gone so I'm ready for some more wild and crazy playdates.

Walking in a Hayes said...

Hahaha, I love you Dawnelle!!! I think I may be getting into more than I can handle soon too....Have I mentioned that we are moving? We'll see how that goes :). Life really is full of sweet surprised that we just have to remember are gifts. Although not the most convenient gifts :)

Brittany Hall said...

I love how excited Carter looks at sharing his blankie with his sister. :)

Benson Fam said...

This is obviosly not Dawnelle commrnting on my own log. Thank you sweet heart for leting me have your password. Your blog is so well written. Its like you have a little newspaper colomn you get to write each week. I am going to be your #1 fan. We have to have a program where you will leave the kiddos with their Dad in the evening and you just go and do. I can hsndle it and look forward to it, even on a egular basis. I love you sweet heart your comments are so well stated.

Unknown said...

Yikes Dawnelle! I can't imagine having two yet. And those are the reasons why! But man, you are superwoman! You should have a blog on how to have a little guy and a baby.

Katie Page said...

When did your mom have a stroke?! You probably know this already, but my sister, Anna, had a stroke 1 week after giving birth to the twins. It is such a scary and stressful time. I hope everything goes okay with your mom. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here. ~Katie P

Kate said...

Oh, things to come for me. haha. SOOOO glad to hear that your mom is doing better!!

Unknown said...

I've been anxiously watching your blog for updates and have been sadly disappointed!
Oh and I'm SO excited to see you in a couple of days! I've missed my best friend! <3

Walking in a Hayes said...

I am starting to wonder why I check your blog for updates... I think you have fallen out of the blogging world! Oh no!! I hope things are going well for you and that you are all recovering well from your Christmas sicknesses. I love you!