Monday, January 31, 2011

Gingerbread House Contest

I remember our first family gingerbread attempt. I believe it was 2007, Carter was 2 1/2 and I got lots of extra candy to really do it up right. After 10 minutes of Carter screaming, because we were putting the candy on a house and not in his mouth, we finally gave up. Somehow we never got into the spirit of gingerbreading again until this year (and given that Ellie is 2 1/2 I was very hesitant). We did it for Family Home Evening, we were boys against girls and Grandma & Grandpa Benson graciously agreed to judge the pictures we texted to them.



Carter and Ellie felt it necessary to eat as much candy as they decorated with :)
Notice Ellie licking all the sprinkles off of here decorating plate


Joe got very into it- his artsy side is something many people might not know about him. And his super competitive side :). The kids lost interest after a while- you know, about the time we ran out of candy.

Girls Gingerbread house...

Boy's Gingerbread house...


Proving structurally unsound it became this...


and then this...
better luck next year fellas!

2 comments:

State of Bliss said...

Too fun! I'm guessing the girls won? I'm very impressed. I'm afraid any gingerbread house I tried to make would end up like the boys': very structurally unsound.

Brittany Hall said...

Yeah, I'd totally vote for the girls. Nice detail on the roof. Cute idea to make it a competition!